Help 1000's of animals, volunteer with FurKidz!
South Africa is a beautiful country with an amazing wildlife and a well established and safe tourist network. The cities are big, vibrant and exciting, busy with the typical life of any metropolis anywhere in the world.
But within each city and town are the townships, large ghettos, that house hundreds of thousands of migrant workers and unemployed families. Passing through a typical impoverished township, one of the first things you will notice – beyond the obvious startling poverty – is the abundance of cats and dogs.
Within these high density and socially complicated environments cats and dogs breed freely and live with no supervision or control. Dog fighting is popular and animal abuse is widespread and de-criminalized.
There is network of welfare organizations in South Africa dedicated to this massive problem with 30 Animal Shelters in the Cape Town area alone. Each of these organizations receives and rescues an average of 40 to 100 animals per month. The need for suitable homes for these rescues is acute and extensive exposure is the only way to increase adoptions and save lives. The only alternative to re-homing is euthanasia and due to the high numbers of incoming animals and the limits of shelter accommodation, the monthly numbers are staggering.
Unfortunately a substantial amount of South Africans still buy their pets from so called backyard breeders or pet shops thus exacerbating the overpopulation problem. With all this in mind, FurKidz was created.
FurKidz is a non-profit cyber-shelter, founded to assist all animal shelters across South Africa in re-homing their animals.
FurKidz's Mission is...
- To create, maintain and provide an online database of homeless animals in Southern Africa
- To increase South African public awareness to the large amount of homeless animals
- To promote the adoption of shelter animals with a view to eliminating euthanasia of healthy animals
- To support animal welfare organizations in Southern Africa through the provision of resources, services and activities
- To function as a platform of engagement for animal lovers, adopters, animal welfare organizations, shelters and SPCA's
- To generate and distribute funds to homeless animals and animal welfare organizations in Southern Africa
FurKidz Volunteers are fully integrated into the day-to-day business of the organization and fulfill the below tasks depending on their preferences and skills:
- Visiting our shelter partners
- Taking pictures/ filming of video clips
- Picture and Video Editing
- Website administration
- Writing of articles for website, newsletter & social media
- Preparation and posting of daily news and events
- Uploading of information / posting of ads
- Receiving and handling of enquiries
- Administering the Lost & Found section & the Happy Tails section
- Designing or marketing materials
- Organizing Fundraising and other Events
The work at FurKidz involves admin as well as on the ground work. Approximately 50% will be pc work (editing pictures and videoclips, writing profiles, uploading info to the website, updating the website, writing pet related articles for website, newsletter and social media) and the other 50% will be spe(interacting with shelter animals, taking pictures, filming video clips etc.). nt on the road, visiting shelters Every task is directly helping and benefiting our shelter animals.
Duration: minimum 1 month, maximum 6 months
Start: throughout the year / flexible
Our main FurKidz branch is located in Cape Town where our inters live in our beach house, 100m away from the ocean and within walking distance to many shops, restaurants and bars.